Thursday, March 7, 2013

Rude Awakening


Six lanes of traffic during morning rush hour on Market Street near San Francisco School of the Arts.

A red ambulance heading east with sirens screaming.

Everyone stops except one sleepy teenage boy. He’s with a group of kids standing in the median ready to traverse eastbound lanes.

Ambulance slows faintly before flying through red light. Boy thinks ambulance is stopping for pedestrians and steps into crosswalk. Ambulance blasts horn with prejudice just inches away. Boy vaults backward and falls into friends.

Driver on my right, cyclist on my left, son in the passenger seat, me: We all catch our breath, drop our jaws and start laughing. Too close for comfort. There but for the grace of God.


1 comment:

  1. Good God! What a moment! This is a story slice my dear - a moment in a life that could be changed in an instant. You caught it and his friends caught him. My god!

    ReplyDelete